Saturday, May 5, 2012

Arana Jr. makes bold prediction


Hector Arana Jr. feels good about his chances for a victory at Atlanta Dragway.

The Lucas Oil Buell rider qualified No. 3 for Sunday's Pro Stock Motorcycle eliminations at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway.

"I am going to win this race," said Arana Jr., who qualified No. 2 in Gainesville and Houston, the first two events on the PSM schedule. "I just have a good feeling."

To fulfill his own prophecy, Arana Jr. will have to make four, solid, mistake-free runs, and pick up on his best qualifying run of the weekend – a pass of 6.950 seconds at 192.85 mph.

"Yesterday when the weather was good we were off on our tune-ups, and that is why we couldn't run a better number," Arana Jr. said. "We made quite a few changes for that last pass (Saturday) and we picked up from the first pass. On top of that, I short-shifted or I would have run a lot quicker."

A runner-up last weekend in Houston, Arana Jr. will start the Atlanta race Sunday morning by facing off against Chip Ellis, whose fastest run of the weekend was a 7.075 at 188.73 mph.

"I am pretty excited about going in tomorrow," Arana Jr. said. "Tomorrow should be good. Hopefully I won't do anymore short shifting and we can go some rounds and win the race."

Being in the bottom half of the ladder, Arana Jr. will have a chance to face-off against his dad – Hector Arana Sr. – in the final round, after Arana Sr. grabbed the pole on his Lucas Oil Buell with a run of 6.894 at 193.82 mph.

"I love that one of us is No. 1," Arana Jr. said. "Don't get me wrong, I would like to the No. 1, but No. 3 is still good. And, we are going to meet in the finals and that is all I can ask for."


No comments:

Post a Comment