Sunday, May 20, 2012

Beckman, new crew chief Smith defeat Capps in final to collect SummerNationals title for Valvoline NextGena

Jack Beckman has won an NHRA Super Comp Sportsman world championship and now 13 titles since moving up to the professional ranks in a Funny Car.

But no trophy likely means as much as the "Wally" he won Sunday when he used a superb reaction time off the starting line to defeat his Don Schumacher Racing teammate Ron Capps for the title in the Dollar General NHRA SummerNationals at Heartland Park Topeka.

The championship round produced the 13th meeting between DSR Funny Car teams, and Beckman knew he had to take a wild shot if he wanted to beat teammate Ron Capps and the NAPA Brakes team.

Capps was racing in his fourth straight championship round and had won the last event two weeks ago near Atlanta. It was the fourth event since team owner Don Schumacher realigned two of his four Funny Car teams that paired Beckman with veteran Todd Smith, who was hired to join the organization in early April.

"We knew that NAPA car with (crew chief) Rahn Tobler goes down the track every run, and it's one of the fastest every run," said Beckman, a former drag racing driving instructor.

"When we saw him run 4.12 in the semifinals we knew we couldn't run that and risk smoking the tires. Todd said let's put a 4.15 in (our car) and I took a shot at the starting line."

The combination worked to perfection, but Beckman admits the shot he took nearly was in the foot.

He said he unintentionally rolled too far toward the starting line and that turned on both staging lights.

"When I lit both of them I had to back away from it in my head real quick," Beckman said. "I knew I had to cut a good light but not that way.

"I thought I did a good job of driving the first three rounds and then had a hiccup in the final against Ron."

Beckman's action produced a near perfect 0.004-of-a-second reaction time that enabled his time of 4.158 seconds at 303.09 mph overcome a much quicker run by Capps at 4.107 (304.39).

"I went right up to Ron when we got out of our cars and told him I got away with one there. I dodged a bullet. He was sincerely happy for me and the guys. He knows he's not done winning this year."

And Beckman, who finished second in the points standings last season, is confident Sunday won't be the last time his Valvoline NextGen Dodge Charger R/T is in victory lane.

"Every win I get now I tell myself to appreciate it because it could be your last. This win is so gratifying.

"Now we know we have a good running race car and we're right back in the hunt."

Beckman moved from sixth to fourth in the season standings.

No comments:

Post a Comment