Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Trivial pursuits won't distract Bernstein from fighting for a win in Norwalk



Brandon Bernstein, driver of the MAVTV/Lucas Oil Top Fuel dragster has never been one to detour from the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals to ride a roller coaster, splash in a water park or shoot a quick 18 on the links. Bernstein is a racer – it's what he'd rather do over just about anything else.

"I've never been really interested in any of that other stuff," Bernstein said. "I like being at the track and being behind the wheel of a dragster. Now as my kids get older, I'm sure I'll get familiar with all the places that are near Norwalk.

"Right now, the focus is getting the MAVTV car back on the winning track."

Bernstein said the team regrouped will after the disappointing DNQ at Bristol by qualifying seventh and making good runs down a hot and difficult track in Chicago.

"I didn't expect anything less from the guys," Bernstein said. "They are a hard working bunch and I knew they would prove that Bristol was just a fluke. I let them down a little in Chicago, and I'm determined not to let that happen again.

"This class is too tight to throw away days when you have a good car. We've lost a little ground in the points. We need to get back to making those semifinal and finals runs we earned in May and June.

Bernstein is eighth in the Top Fuel points with ninth-place David Grubnic hot on his tail. The MAVTV car has two semifinal and one runner-up finish this season.

"Points are at a premium right now," Bernstein said. "And stockpiling as many points as you can is crucial to not just making The Countdown, but also giving yourself as much of an advantage as you can get when it starts."

No comments:

Post a Comment